Bio and Interests
I am a Senior Researcher at the University of Fribourg,
Switzerland at the eXascale Infolab.
Previously, I spent some time in research groups at IBM Research (both at
T.J. Watson and
Almaden), and in the industry, at
Google and MongoDB – and some start-ups.
I got my Ph.D. in 2003 at Ecole Normale Superieure de Telecomunications at Paris
(now Paris Tech) having done the research
work connected to my Thesis both at
INRIA/Rocquencourt and at New York
My research interests revolve around non-conventional database systems.
I mean non-conventional in three different aspects.
- Exploring close couplings with hardware or software/hardware co-design geared
- Extending data models beyond relational data (e.g., ordered data in general)
- Supporting increasingly larger data sets via distributed computing.
- Sangjin Lee, Alberto Lerner, André Ryser, Kibin Park, Chanyoung Jeon, Jinsub Park, Yong Ho Song, and Philippe Cudré-Mauroux. “X-SSD: A Storage System with Native Support for Database Logging and Replication.” Proceedings of the 2022 International Conference on Management of Data (SIGMOD ’22)–To Appear, 2022. Bibtex PDF
- André Ryser, Alberto Lerner, Alex Forencich, and Philippe Cudré-Mauroux. “D-RDMA: Bringing Zero-Copy RDMA to Database Systems.” In CIDR 2022, 12th Conference on Innovative Data Systems Research, 2022. Bibtex PDF
- Theo Jepsen, Alberto Lerner, Fernando Pedone, Robert Soulé, and Philippe Cudré-Mauroux. “In-Network Support for Transaction Triaging.” In Proceedings of the VLDB Endowment, 14:1626–39, 2021. Bibtex PDF
- Alberto Lerner, and Philippe Bonnet. “Not Your Grandpa’s SSD: The Era of Co-Designed Storage Devices.” In Proceedings of the 2021 International Conference on Management of Data (SIGMOD ’21), 2021. Bibtex Slides PDF
- Nadeen Gebara, Alberto Lerner, Mingran Yang, Minlan Yu, Paolo Costa, and Manya Ghobadi. “Challenging the Stateless Quo of Programmable Switches.” In Proceedings of the Nineteenth ACM Workshop on Hot Topics in Networks, HotNets20, 2020. Bibtex PDF
- Alberto Lerner, Rana Hussein, André Ryser, Sangjin Lee, and Philippe Cudré-Mauroux. “Networking and Storage: The Next Computing Elements in Exascale Systems?.” IEEE Data Engineering Bulletin 43, no. 1 (March 2020): 60–71. Bibtex PDF
- Mourad Khayati, Alberto Lerner, Zakhar Tymchenko, and Philippe Cudré-Mauroux. “Mind the Gap: An Experimental Evaluation of Imputation of Missing Values Techniques in Time Series.” In Proceedings of the VLDB Endowment, Vol. 13, 2020. Bibtex PDF Code Award
- Alberto Lerner, Jaewook Kwak, Sangjin Lee, Kibin Park, Yong Ho Song, and Philippe Cudré-Mauroux. “It Takes Two: Instrumenting the Interaction between In-Memory Databases and Solid-State Drives.” In CIDR 2020, 10th Conference on Innovative Data Systems Research, 2020. Bibtex PDF
- Alberto Lerner, Rana Hussein, and Philippe Cudré-Mauroux. “The Case For Network Accelerated Query Processing.” In CIDR 2019, 9th Biennial Conference on Innovative Data Systems Research, 2019. Bibtex PDF
Recent Professional Activities
- Program Committee, ACM SIGMOD, 2023
- Program Committee, USENIX ATC, 2022
- Organizer, CUSO Winter School, 2020
- Program Committee, ACM SIGMOD, 2017
- Program Committee, ACM SIGMOD, 2016
- Program Committee, VLDB, 2015